The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras will conduct the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2019 on February 2, 3, 9 and 10.
Well, GATE exam is near and most students do not prepare for General Aptitude and caught unaware in the exam. We do not need to tell the Importance of Aptitude Portion in GATE.
The mistake that a student makes while preparing for GATE, ESE or any other technical exam is underestimating the aptitude preparation.
Aptitude section must be seen as a breathing space between heavy loads of 10-15 technical subjects. Aptitude must be made a habit rather than being treated the same way as other technical subjects.
As all of you know that “Aptitude Portion” consists of secured 15 per cent of the total marks and is one of the highest weighted portions in terms of marks in the GATE exam. The reason we highlighted the word Secured is that rest 85 per cent marks are randomly distributed among technical subjects and Mathematics.
As per the current scenario, year by year the qualifying marks, as well as the marks to get a decent rank in GATE, is increasing. So, it becomes important for one to do well in aptitude portion in order to get a decent rank in the GATE exam.
Let us get down to the important topics that appear in the General Aptitude Section of the GATE exam.
The general aptitude can be divided into verbal ability and numerical (non-verbal ability).
Vocabulary, Narration and voice, Synonyms, Homonyms, English Grammar, Root Based Vocabulary, One-word substitution with roots, Picture Based Vocabulary.
Numerical ability (non-verbal ability)
Averages, Pipes and Cisterns, Cubes, Number Series, Surds and Indices, Blood Relations, Probability, Data Sufficiency, Coding and Decoding, Surds and Indices, Logarithms, Equations, Ratio and Proportions, LCM & HCF, Percentages, Profit and Loss, Partnership, Simple Interest and Compound Interest, Permutations and Combinations.
There are a few things that must be taken care of while preparing for general aptitude:
- Aptitude is a habit. Try to include it in your daily life and cannot be mastered in a day or week for that matter
- Try to devote a couple of hours in a day to practice aptitude section. Even ten questions on daily basis can help you a lot
- Try to be logical rather than focusing on steps or methods
- Try visualising problems; it can help you solve tricky questions
- Do not depend on the calculator. It may happen that questions are easy and you are wasting your time by calculating on the calculator
- Try to solve one problem multiple times before giving up on the questions and try to attempt each time from a different perspective. Solving questions on regular basis enhances your analogy and can help you tackle a tough question
- Solve aptitude questions at regular intervals while you take a break from technical subjects so that your mind gets refreshed
- Keep a balanced approach between studies time and leisure time. Time for Leisure can be 1-2 hours daily. Try to cultivate the habit of playing outdoor games as well. It opens and refreshes your mind
- Also try to develop a habit of reading newspaper and articles in English magazines as it helps you understand the basic flow of the English language. This will help you to answer grammar questions correctly
- While you prepare for the Aptitude sections, you can visit some websites and YouTube channels to revisit the concepts.
Important to note:
The level of questions asked in GATE aptitude is not very high. The candidate just need to keep your basic concepts clear and practice from previous year GATE question papers.
The GATE aspirant will get a fair idea of the questions from there. Please do not read any text or matter at the last moment to learn new concepts.
The technical section in the GATE Exam is also very important and not to forget that technical section should be the first target and technical section helps you to get good marks but aptitude section helps in getting good AIR.